Strong demand for 3Gen flats




Image result for gen flats pics



The three-generation (3Gen) flat, an initiation from the Housing and Development Board (HDB), has an average take-up rate of 83 percent, reports TODAYonline. According to the news report, the buyers were booking 651 of the total 786 units of the three-generation (3Gen) flat, which was launched between 2013-2015. TODAYonline report cites media fact sheet from the HDB.

Just about 53 percent of the flats, which totals 651 flats, were purchased by second-time buyers. Likewise remaining 47 percent of the flats were bought by first-time buyers. The projects in Tampines GreenRidges, Punggol BayView, and Saraca Breeze @ Yishun received utmost demand. The available 3Gen units in these unites were taken immediately. The Punggol BayView, Tampines GreenRidges and Saraca Breeze @ Yishun, had 52, 56, and 84 available units respectively.  Until December, 2016, 1,100 units of 3Gen flats spread across 18 projects has been launched by the Housing Board.

Since December last year, the unit owners began to receive their keys. One of the first owners to move into the completed 3Gen flats is Education Officer Tan Chow Hua and his family. He will be moving into 3Gen flats in Boon Lay View.

“I have my wife, two daughters and my mother in my family. I want my family to live together and have a good bonding. However, because of space constraint in our current five-room flat in Jurong West, we could not mother to come to live with us,” said the 49-year-old man. “Our needs will be fulfilled by the new flat. When it comes to having personal space, everyone will have their fair share,” he added.

In order to fulfill the requirements of multi-generation households wanting to live under the same roof, HDB launched 3Gen flats for the first time in 2013. The 3Gen flat measures 115 sq m, and it is bigger than by five sq m compared to five-room flats. The 3Gen flat has four bedrooms and three bathrooms.


Those who have multi-generation family with at least one married/courting couple and their parents will qualify for 3Gen flats. Once the flat is purchased, the family should be living for at least 5 years, and during this Minimum Occupation Period (MOP), the owner are not allowed to rent out his/her rooms. Once 5 years of MOP is completed, the flat can be sold to another eligible family.

Image result for gen flats pics